Does a Makeup Artist Need a License?

Makeup Artist License

There is no "Makeup Artist License" and you do not need a Cosmetology or Esthetics license to work as a makeup artist in film & television doing motion pictures, commercials, daytime television, sitcoms, reality shows, sports and news broadcasts; or work with photographers, models, and designers doing makeup for print ads, catalogs, fashion magazines, music videos, and runway shows; or work with celebrities and actors in theater performances and dance competitions; or own your own makeup business, become a national artist for a major cosmetic company, or work in any cosmetic retail environment.

You do not need a license to provide makeup or special effects services in a theme park or entertainment complex to an actor, stunt person, musician, extra, or other talent, or provide makeup or special effects services to the general public (like Halloween makeup).

Some states have laws that require a license if you are charging for beauty makeup services to the general public. In those states if you do not have a cosmetology or skin care license, compensation must go towards a purchase ($50 for a makeup application applicable towards a purchase or for brides- a bridal touch up kit). Many freelance artists make more money from product sales than services. Private label companies like Your Name Cosmetics or Grafton Cosmetics have a 400-600% markup. Having your own line makes sense when you buy a lipstick for $3 that you retail for $15. Giving a Bride a touchup kit is also a very common practice (waterproof mascara, a powder, lipstick, gloss).

Makeup Artistry License in Florida

If you want to freelance doing weddings and special events and do not wish to sell retail products, you need to check your state's requirements. In Florida you must obtain a Skin Care or Cosmetology License. A Florida Skin Care Specialist license requires 260 hours of instruction. Cosmix's program is 300 hours. There is an Alumni Scholarship that provides $1500 tuition assistance to Cosmix makeup artistry program graduates. The Skin Care program only adds 10 additional weeks to any makeup artistry program.

For those who wish to obtain a skin care license in a state other than Florida, contact the Department of Professional Regulations in your state.

Makeup Schools in Florida

Most makeup schools in Florida do not have a skin care program. Most students must attend a Cosmetology or Beauty School for this training. Cosmix is unlike any other makeup school. We encourage our students to obtain this license. We offer a $1500 Alumni Scholarship for those Makeup Artistry students who are interested in obtaining both diplomas. To freelance doing weddings and special events, a makeup artist who has this license can charge for makeup services.